Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl[_2_] axolotl[_2_] is offline

Default DB connectors

On 11/3/2010 11:36 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I just selected a bunch of solder type from digikey. I'll hire it out
locally. I don't even try to solder anything smaller than #18 wire and
it has to be to a through hole type pin. Its a skill I was poor at
years ago, and I got worse.

There is another assembly option. Some places mass terminate solder cup
type connectors using solder sleeves- a short piece of shrink tubing
with a stripe of solder paste on the inside (Raychem is one
manufacturer). Put the connector in a vise, put a solder barrel over
each connector solder cup, strip the wire and poke it down into the
desired solder cup. The solder barrel is able to hold the wire in place
until all the wires are positioned. Hit the connector with a heat gun.
The solder barrels shrink and the solder paste inside them melts, flows,
and makes the connection. You end up with tight insulated connections.

Kevin Gallimore