Posted to alt.home.repair
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Shoddy shed shingling

On Nov 1, 4:35*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

The first thing I found was that they had started with a row of shingles
turned upside down, which I had just read is the worst of the three
common ways (and illegal in some jurisdictions), best being to use a
special starter strip (which I had already bought) and next best being
to use shingles the right way up but with the tabs cut off.

Next I found that none of the protective strips over the adhesive had
been peeled off!

I am assuming that this was a "kit" shed, but I have no idea whether it
was the vendor (or the vendor-contracted installer) or the earlier
homeowner who erected it.

Perce

I just roofed our new shed with the same "architectural" shingles used
on our new home (TAMKO Heritage):

1) The instructions recommended cutting the tabs off and turning the
shingle around for the starter strip, just like shingle makers have
recommended for decades. They also recommended using their starter
strips as an option.

2) The shingles and shingle installation instructions specifically say
"do not remove the plastic strip". This is good because I tried to
remove one and it is practically impossible. I am told the plastic on
newer (how old is newer? Dunno!) shingles is degradable. It is there
to keep shingles from sticking during transport and then degrades
during early life to provide adhesion. Years ago the strips were more
like tape, with a loose end, which made them easy to remove.

Maybe your roof wasn't as bad as you thought. If it is still there
after 20 years and doing its job it might have been OK.

RonB