Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Weisgram[_2_] Jim Weisgram[_2_] is offline

Default Block Planes?

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 00:11:44 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

[...snip...]
In terms of features, what do folks think about low-angle vs normal, and
adjustable throats? The low angle planes seem to be recommneded for end
grain, which I have to deal with on occasion. Is there a downside to the
low angle?

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!

Doug White

Much more important than which brand the block plane is, can you
sharpen it properly? Assuming you can, you can get some useful results
from a Stanley.

Having said that, the Veritas will serve you even better. It is
manufactured to much tighter tolerances and the blade is heavier,
which helps eliminate chatter.

A Low Angle plane can be used on end grain. But it will be more prone
to tearout on figured wood. It sounds as if that won't be much of an
issue for you. I have the LV low angle block and it isn't usually a
problem, especially with a sharp blade and a tight mouth (setting the
adjustable throat to pass a fine shaving).

Another possible way to deal with this: purchase an extra blade and
grind and hone the bevel to a higher angle and swap the blade out as
needed. You can just hone the secondary bevel at the higher angle.