Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default DB connectors

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 22:01:00 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

I'm pretty sure they don't sell direct anyway. Digi-Key will have all you
need. Just find the style of connector shells you like and the matching
crimp pins. Easy stuff, and yes, the crimp pins are a lot easier to work
with than the fixed solder cup connectors. Being the backup for your
backup type, I tend to solder the pins after crimping them. Never had a
problem with them. Be sure to get one of the pin removal tools as well in
case you miss the correct hole and need to get the pin back out.

This reminds me. If there's a lot of mechanical motion, the wires can
break off at the pins, so you'd need the tool to pop them out; to prevent
this, if there's an option available, get pins "with insulation support."
There's one crimp around the wire, and a slightly larger crimp around the
insulation, to act as sort of a strain relief.

Cheers!
Rich