Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default DB connectors

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 00:22:18 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 23:13:32 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
Karl Townsend wrote:

I need to make up connectors like you see on the back of a computer.
My servo amps have a couple 2 row 15 pin, a 2 row 25 pin, and a 3 row
26 pin places to connect.

I'm seeing a bewildering number of possibilities in digikey. FWIW the
connector plug I'm after is similar to this pictu
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=A32073-ND

or digikey part A32073-ND. I'm not after this part, just trying to
show the connector.

I'm not at all good at soldering in tight places. I much prefer
something that can be made up by crimping. I have a Molex type crimp
tool.

Karl, they aren't that hard to solder if you pretin the wire & the
terminal in the connector. Then put a drop of RMA liquid rosin flux on
the terminal. Hold the tinned wire against the notch in the terminal &
reheat. The wire will pus into the notch and you will have a clean
joint without burning anything. make sure you use good solder, like
Ersin (Multicore). Cheap solder is no bargain at any price.

I just clamp the connector in a small, smooth jawed drill press vise
so i don't have to chase it around the bench. If I have many to do, I
clamp a mating conncetor in the vise to safe time.

I can show you how when you pass through Ocala in a couple weeks if
you'd like. I could even make the cables for you if your wire isn't
already part of a machine.

I just selected a bunch of solder type from digikey. I'll hire it out
locally. I don't even try to solder anything smaller than #18 wire and
it has to be to a through hole type pin. Its a skill I was poor at years
ago, and I got worse.

I always prefered the solder type, since they are easy to modify or
re use.

I was partial to the crimp&shove type, primarily because one day some AMP
rep gave me a crimper that would cost about $300.00 if you bought it. ;-)

And these things are almost free:
http://www.tecratools.com/product1199.html

Cheers!
Rich