Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default OT Tea bags America.

Han wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Nothing wrong with dodging taxes - it's the American way!

You see, our congress encourages it! How? you might ask.

Easy. The U.S. has the highest corporate tax rate in the world (as
much as 51%). By having such a high tax rate, the government
encourages companies to funnel money through off-shore accounts. For
example, Google, through the "Irish Sandwich" (or somesuch)
machination pays an effective tax rate of 2.5% instead of the normal
corporate tax of 39%.

Not only that, but having such a high tax rate encourages
corporations to move entire portions of their business offshore,
including manufacturing. The net result is the government being
responsible for companies moving their production facilities to more
hospitable climes.

The answer is to close loopholes and "special treatments". It's not
the nominal tax rate so much that is the problem, but the loopholes.
Make the tax rate say 25%, and close ALL the exceptions and special
treatments.

Well, yeah. But tax laws are designed to do two things: 1) Raise money
(usually) and 2) Advance or retard some social construct.

The government has given tax breaks for home mortgages like forever and is
now in the the thrall of tax breaks for energy efficiency.

My view is that tax laws should raise money. Period. Let the market decide
social goals.