js

Default Finish for oak end tables

shellac. Water resistant. I would imagine the Amish use this as well.

"Brian Turner" wrote in message
om...
I am kind of new to woodworking and am building furniture for our
family room. I am building a TV stand and end tables out of red oak.
I am very close to Amish country in Ohio and found out that they use
catalytic varnish for the top coat finish. I can't seem to find
catalytic varnish sold in local woodworking stores as it seems to be a
commercial product. Can anyone tell me a comparable finish to use for
the DIY wood worker or a source for catalytic varnish? Since the
tables are being used in the family room they need to be resistant to
water and other liquids when setting or spilling glasses or cups of
beverages on the tables. Thanks in advance for your help.