Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default skunk problem

"Robert Green" wrote:
-snip-

Just saw an episode of "Dirty Jobs" about skunk trapping. Don't count on
any trap big enough to catch a skunk being small enough to restrict its
motions enough to keep from spraying. They used fairly conventional sized
traps and the skunks were easily able to spray through it. You'll need
something like an old towel you can throw away to cover the trap after they
are caught.

I've trapped critters off and on for 50+ years. Until last summer
I counted myself fortunate because I'd never caught a skunk.

I caught 2 in 2 nights in a big roomy box trap that I'd set for a
woodchuck. I wasn't all that eager to put theory into practice- but
grabbed a blanket from the garage and approached the trap with great
caution. I've never seen an animal so nonchalant about being
trapped. Both of them seemed content to reach outside the trap &
pull clumps of sod into the trap to make a 'nest'.

I propped the door open and I had my camera ready to 'capture' the
hasty escape. Glad I had the camera on a tripod with the motion
detection set. Neither exited the trap for several hours after I'd
gone inside the house. And neither made a hasty retreat.

-snip-

The trappers in California simply released the skunk on the same property
after repairs were made to damaged crawl space screens (where the skunk
headed straight for upon release). It must have happened often at that
particular house because the skunks stayed patiently in their traps,
awaiting release and not spraying once. They seemed quite used to the
procedure.

Seems to be the nature of the beast. I doubt these boys had been
trapped before-- my neighbor prefers conibears.

Not being a Californian, I wouldn't even think of releasing the critter back
in my yard again.

I didn't think there were any skunks around until my neighbor got one
I the conibear- then I trapped these 2. [Different colorations so I
know it wasn't the same guy twice.]

I prefer them to squirrels.

Jim