Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Delta 17-900 Drill Press Spindle Pulley Removal

wrote:
I am working on a drill press,It is the Delta 17-900.

Have to get it apart to see what is what. I need to get the top
cover off to see what is what ,and need to remove the pulley on the
spindle or quill, to do so.
I got the nut loose and off (Left hand BTY, 32 MM or 1 1/4" socket
needed) but can't seem to pop off the pulley. I tapped a wedge under
the pulley and taped on the top spindle with a plastic mallet, but it
didn't go.
I did not want to force it and break the pulley.
Do I need some type of puller?

A few posts Seemed to suggest the pulley might be on a tapered
shaft.

Puller will be your best choice other than heating the pulley. Other
than that, you need far more shock and awe than a dainty tap w/ a little
plastic-faced hammer is going to provide.

Oh, and yes, they are tapered shaft.