Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Complexity of dyes in kitchen cabinets (CO From)

On 11/3/2010 3:34 AM, wrote:
On Nov 2, 7:07 am, wrote:
CHANGE ORDER – COST PLUS

* SNIP *

Get a cup of coffee... this is a long one.

A couple of thoughts....

snip of good stuff

Most all remodel work I do, and I dislike the work intensely and the
circumstances in which I will do it are very narrow, and with the
exception of the kitchen portion, is on a cost plus, coordination fee
schedule.

Since I generally don't do remodels without a full, to the studs,
kitchen renovation, I cover the kitchen portion in a separate
contract/proposal generally included as an additional "exhibit" to the
basic remodel contract.

Basically, I like simple contracts if I feel I can get away with them,
if not, I go with boiler plate stuff I've used for years ... I spent 15
years in the O&G business, much of it writing and negotiating drilling
and operating agreements, and supervising an in-house title
curative/contracts section with as many as 11 attorneys at my direction
.... I've had the "contract" course to the nth degree.

When I built anything of substance, I kept a book of finish selections
and spelled out where each paint color went, each tile selection, each
bit of wallpaper, carpet, wood floor, deck stain, counter tops, etc.
This book of finishes became part of the contract by reference to "see
finish selections". My paint suppliers are required by me (now they
are printed automatically) to write the paint number on each can
received to match up with the book. Same with wallpaper, etc. I made
a copy for the client, but kept the original with their initials and
date under each selection under every selection.

I am REQUIRED by my colorblindness to do the same thing ... IOW, I deal
in numbers, not colors.

My biggest problem when building a house (only built 5) was the people
changing their minds about finishes and colors. (I ran back screaming
to commercial my first chance to get away from houses.)

I explain upfront that it is useless to ask me a question about colors
(and generally get the opportunity to prove it, but generally not more
than once, before they get the point fully.)

On a custom job my paint contractor of years deal with ALL questions of
color, in my presence, with the client. (The last custom I did in the
Austin area was with a paint contractor I'd never used before and, as
expected, they did paint one wall the wrong color before the owner
noticed ... BTDT, so I had had the foresight to cover that almost
guaranteed circumstance in the sub's contract)

On spec homes, I'm lucky to have a wife who is excellent at interior
design and I just turn her loose with a budget.

snip of more good stuff

I still remember when I did 99% of my business on a handshake. Man,
does that seem like a eon ago now.

In the recording studio business I got _damn good_ at making money from
a clientele who never has any ... musicians!

I'm here to testify that that experience alone will make a decent
business man out of a stone stump.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010