Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] ant30dio@yahoo.com is offline

Default Delta 17-900 Drill Press Spindle Pulley Removal

I am working on a drill press,It is the Delta 17-900.
Needed to change the noisy bearing in the idler pulley ( found it at
auto zone) it was 15 MM ID X 35 MM OD X 11 MM thick, turns out it;s a
pretty common bearing, there are a bunch of them on e bay.
Anyways, the tensioning lever for the belts is not working,
feels like the cam that moves the motor back has come loose from the
lever.
Have to get it apart to see what is what. I need to get the top
cover off to see what is what ,and need to remove the pulley on the
spindle or quill, to do so.
I got the nut loose and off (Left hand BTY, 32 MM or 1 1/4" socket
needed) but can't seem to pop off the pulley. I tapped a wedge under
the pulley and taped on the top spindle with a plastic mallet, but it
didn't go.
I did not want to force it and break the pulley.
Do I need some type of puller?
Wonder if auto zone has something they could loan me?
I have it soaking overnight right now.
Also, when I get this all back together, how tight does the top left
handed nut need to be?
I am searching Google right now, but not coming up with much.
A few posts Seemed to suggest the pulley might be on a tapered
shaft.
Thanks, Tony