Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve[_52_] Steve[_52_] is offline

Default Chisels

On 2010-11-02 14:19:11 -0400, Bill said:

I bought a set of Irwin Marples (Blue Chip/Bevel edged) chisels a while
back. Supposedly, they can be used with mallet as well as by hand.

Assume I wish to do M & T joinery in soft wood.

I just noticed some Norex "mortising chisels" on sale (5 for $45) and
was curious whether they would offer me something more that I need, or
whether they would be redundant for my current purposes.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Bill

Mortising chisels will make cutting mortises easier (but not
necessarily easy... take your time). A good set of waterstones are a
great investment for both your Marples and the prospective mortising
chisels -- and look at the Veritas honing guide for proper sharpening.
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...oningguide.htm

Sharp chisels speed the work and improve the accuracy of the cuts.