Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus27744 Ignoramus27744 is offline

Default Gage block set question...

On 2010-11-02, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 14:57:18 -0500, Ignoramus27744

On 2010-11-02, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 14:39:40 -0500, Ignoramus27744

On 2010-11-02, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:40:00 -0500, Ignoramus27744
wrote:

But people can get sick and so, poverty is not always the
fault of the person. Usually it is, however.

Ergo, Gunner makes life choices, such as not wanting a 9-5 job, and so
he is in poverty. He is not forced into poverty, this is just the way
he wants to live, which is of course a free choice that I respect.

So you now suddenly agree with the sig. Fascinating.

Mostly, with the medical exception.

Which medical exception?

I think that poverty, with the exception of when it is caused by
physical or mental illness, or something else that is veru rare and
unusual, is a result of life choices.

So you are now agreeing with this sig....?

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,

I only agree with the last sentence of that signature.

Everything else is thoughtless balderdash. For example, taxing the
rich and spending money on educating "the poor" is a useful endeavour.
So are numerous other things.

From the standpoint of an economist, poverty results generally from
inability of people to be economically useful (as in, perform some
useful function and show up at work sober every day). If they are not
"worth" paying above poverty wages, they would not be paid.

So, if we try, in various ways, to make people able to command higher
wages, that is a useful approach.

And everyone can see that medical illness is generally..though not
always...is the result of life choices as well.

My heart attack/bypass/stroke...think that wasnt caused by my poor life
choices in one aspect or another?

This is an excellent point, as well. Sometimes it is indeed the case.