Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare Michael Chare is offline

Default Fuel bills, direct debits and forecast usage

"Lobster" wrote in message
I changed energy suppliers earlier in the year (EDF) and pay by monthly
direct debit to get the cheapest tarrif. My gas payment has been 52 GBP,
and my account is currently 22 GBP in debt.

Today I received my latest bill, informing me that they have reviewed my
monthly payments and based on forecast usage (ie over winter) they are
going to increase my payments to - get this - 120 GBP.

This strikes me as utterly ridiculous and I fully intend to whinge, but
before I start raking out old bills and trying to tease out me winter vs
summer gas consumption, does anyone have a rule of thumb as to how these
payments are or should be calculated? Maybe EDF are actually on target,
though seems unlikely to me?

Usually incorrectly. Perhaps not helped in my case because although I have
an economy 7 tariff, I don't have any storage heaters, so my summer and
winter usage is much the same.

Just recently I got a bill from Scottish Power with a revised payment that I
realized was not unreasonable. As the meter has not been read for some time
(at least a year), I fed the meter reading into their web site whereupon
they promptly demanded a larger payment.
I had to ring them and they changed the DD back to the previous amount.

--
Michael Chare