Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace?

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Steve Barker wrote:

That "store bought" fuel may not wanna flow when it's 20 below. Heating
oil is straight #1 diesel.

Heating oil is #2 diesel, not #1 (Kerosene). I have 34 years of
experience with oil heat to confirm that.

You won't find that at the pump.

Yes, actually you will. Kerosene #1 pumps are relatively common.

And the
mix you do find at the pump will not burn as hot and may cost you by
using more and causing excessive build ups in the furnace.

Sorry, you are entirely incorrect. #2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are exactly
the same other than the red dye and taxes, #1 kerosene is always the
same and has a little less BTU content per gal then #2, but that's about
it. None of them will cause any sort of buildup any different than your
normal heating oil.

Actually, you are wrong, in some areas. I contacted a number of oil
companies regarding using home heating oil in a standby generator. The
answers that I got back was that in some areas where they don't have enough
volume to justify separate products they use standard diesel fuel for both.
In other areas where there is a large demand for both products, they are
different products. Diesel fuel for engines has higher standards and
specifications to meet, especially in the cetane rating (Similar to octane
rating in gasoline) as the engine must be protected for long life. In these
areas the heating oil is a low grade product as it is only intended to burn
in a furnace, so they will sell you some poor quality crap that is not as
refined. So diesel will be fine for your furnace, but heating oil may damage
your engine. Red dye is added to heating oil and to off-road diesel for use
in farm tractors and/or construction equipment, and this is what I ordered
for my standby generator.