Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Chisels

On Nov 2, 2:19*pm, Bill wrote:

I bought a set of Irwin Marples (Blue Chip/Bevel edged) chisels a while
back. Supposedly, they can be used with mallet as well as by hand.

Yep, they take a licking and keep on ticking. I even use - don't tell
anyone! - a hammer sometimes.

Assume I wish to do M & T joinery in soft wood.

No problem.

I just noticed some Norex "mortising chisels" on sale (5 for $45) and
was curious whether they would offer me something more that I need, or
whether they would be redundant for my current purposes.

Thank you for your thoughts.

This is a no-brainer. It's not my money, and someone is asking me if
they need more tools...
Yes!

I believe your mean Narex, right? The Marples Blue Chip are an all
purpose chisel. A dedicated mortise chisel is superior for tough
chopping and deeper holes, but not as good for all around bench work.
Since you already have the Marples, start knocking some holes. If
they're sharp you shouldn't have any problem in soft wood.