Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default OTish :- external Cat5 cable - what markings should it have?

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 01:19:33 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Jim K
wrote this:-

I have also already read (using those splendid search engine things
you promote) that using ordinary cat5 in conduit is not recommended
due to risks of waterlogging and degradation of signal....

Stop digging. If people care to read back in this newsgroup then
they will see that it is not recommended to use it in conduit
underground. You have gone from that to all external installations.
Above ground there is something rather wrong with the installation
if the conduit is full of water.

Any installation in conduit above ground will need to observe
minimum bending radii and exclude water, as part of a proper
installation. Without some form of protection from the various
external influences then the life of the cable outdoors is unlikely
to be great.

oh dear dear - you mean that googly random picture of one make of
cable with "external" written on it?

You may try to dismiss a manufacturer's data sheet downloaded from a
reasonably well known network supplier's web site in those terms.
However, in the absence of anything better I'll stick with that and
my interpretation of it.

is that ISO or whatever "standard" then is it?

Trying to distort what others have typed is the resort of those with
no better arguments. In this case I typed, "There is no guarantee
that all such cable is marked like that, though I imagine most is."
I didn't claim anything about a standard, just suggested that most
manufacturers would mark their cable to say it is suitable for
exterior use.

ISTM that you have not got external grade cable, for whatever
reason. I may be wrong, but I'm not going to do research for you to
come to a definitive answer. Instead of blaming the messenger you
would do better to get on with the job.

AFAIR you only wanted a few metres. It can be purchased new for 82p
per metre from Netshop [1] and that is what I would have done
http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=51540.
I wouldn't even bother chasing the supplier of the cable you already
have, not worth the hassle in my view.

You may have the last word if you wish.

[1] there will be postage on that too, probably £3.95.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54