Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default OT Electricity Generation

On 1 Nov, 12:53, David Hansen wrote:
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:08:22 +0000 someone who may be tony sayer
wrote this:-

No wind to speak of here today in Cambridge .. and there wasn't any
yesterday,

Be careful about assuming that wind patterns in one location are
representative of those elsewhere. It isn't always the case.

However, wind output was low earlier today. That was forecast in
plenty of time to get some old plant going [1]. Also, as forecast,
wind output is rising rapidly and it would be possible to look at
whether such plant could be put to sleep again.

All as discussed. Nothing to get excited about, simply an example of
managing the electricity system.

[1] assuming that with a much larger amount of diverse wind the
pattern would have been repeated.

--
* David Hansen, Edinburgh
*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me

My hobby is gliding. The wind forecasts generally give out are for
ground level. A couple of hundred feet up they are quite different
both in force and direction. Ballooners use this to get from Ato B.
They are strongly effected by even quite minor hills again in force
and direction. Big windmills can take advantage of this.
At greater altitudes I have often experienced winds of seventy or
eighty knots when on the ground it has been only ten knots.
Occasionally I have seen over a hundred knots.