Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default OT Electricity Generation

On 31/10/2010 22:52, David Hansen wrote:

Wind forecasts one pays for are rather better than the general ones,
but still not perfect. However, they do identify possible low wind
conditions days ahead. The prolonged absence of suitable wind for
days is a myth hyped by the anti-wind lobby, but the shorter periods
of reduced output can be forecast days ahead with reasonable
accuracy.

Old coal plants can be used as part of an integrated system. They
could not be used were they the only plant, but that is not
something I suggested.

The reason why I know the wind forecasts are not that good is that my
hobby is sailing.

They are frequently out by a factor of 2 on the next day forecast. And
available power is IIRC cube of windspeed.

BTW David is _not_ the chief lunatic. He undertakes rational argument,
and produces data supporting his claims. We don't happen to agree with
him, but that does not make him mad.

Andy