Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Rare earth magnet question

On 11/01/2010 09:12 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 06:34:33 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner fired this volley in
:

A further note..be sure all of your knives will stick to a magnet. Ive
got some stainless ones in the kitchen that are non magnetic.....

But even most "non-magnetic" stainless alloys are weakly magnetic.

I've got some 1/2" thick by 2" diameter REMs that will pin a piece of #3xx
SS like a mouse in a trap.

LLoyd

Weakly magnetic..yes. But if the knife falls off when you slam the
reefer door across the kitchen.....

And yes..you can use very strong magnets to hold most of them. And then
you put a nice flat sided carbon steel knife on the magnet...and have to
use a portapower to pull it back off .....G

And then use another portapower to get the first portapower off the
rack. Hence the bronze crowbar...

I wasnt critizing magnets in the knife rack...just giving folks a heads
up that not all of them may stick properly.

Any metal will stick to any magnet just fine. Hand me that bottle of
superglue and I'll show you how.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services