Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default OTish :- external Cat5 cable - what markings should it have?

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:16:58 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Jim K
wrote this:-

on the advice of others here, I ebayed some "external" cat5e cable for
an outside run - came in an anoymous plastic wrapper - no details
except what is on the cable "system cable utp Cat 5e 4 pairs 26awg
stranded iso 11801 100mhz"

Well, there are things called search engines, which quickly reveal
that ISO 11801 is about wiring for premises, so presumably inside
http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=36491.

The cable I referred to has a data sheet at
http://www.netshop.co.uk/downloads/900146/5e%20outdoor%20cable.pdf
which shows it as being marked for exterior use on the sheath. There
is no guarantee that all such cable is marked like that, though I
imagine most is.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54