Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Building a big tumbler?s

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 21:00:17 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Butter" wrote in message
By big i am thinking capacity of 1000 lbs. This is to tumble steel
parts coming off our plasma cutting table. My boss came and asked me
to be on the lookout for gearbox and 5 or 10hp motors. I'm well known
for scrounging around here. He wants us to build something to tumble
and debur the parts coming off the cutting table. The largest would be
1in thick and 12in by 12in.
So i want to look into this since i have little faith in our recent
grad of an "engineer" to design this well, and i think it would be
interesting to get involved in this.. So are there any sites with info
on these? I'll i find when i search are "Rock Tumblers"
About all my boss said was these things sort of self destruct and
we'll be replacing chains and parts. What we have is our Plasma
table, large rolls, and welders.

I have considered the same question, and I came up with: 55 gallon refuse
plastic barrels, and shopping cart wheels. The wheels can be mounted with
bolts so if and when they wear out, it's a five minute changeout. The whole
thing can be mounted on a tilting assembly for easy emptying. No need to
reinvent the wheel here, just use cheap available parts.

10" pneumatic wheels can be had from HF for $5 apiece on sale. They
wouldn't wear out as quickly, I'd bet. And that would get the thing
up off the floor a bit better. Less bending for a happier time during

Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises.
-- Demosthenes