John Grossbohlin

Default Best way to enlarge cast iron hole in clamp?

"Hylourgos" wrote in message
om...
OK...bunch of damn smartasses....

I can see that either I didn't describe the clamp or my situation well
enough. You don't have a crowbar big enough, Uni. And as for "It's not
worth your trouble", John, you'd have to know more about me to make
that call. Have you actually done something like this?

I'm only a teacher and I have kids, so I don't have much money. WW is
a hobby for me--more of an academic interest really--so I'm in no rush
and most of my equipment is second hand and what many of you would
call ****. I can't say that what I produce is that impressive, but
I've seen works of art come from nothing but handmade tools, and
pieces of crap only a mother could love come from very expensive
shops. I get at least as much pleasure from making or repairing tools
as I do making sawdust.

As for the clamp, it is a 7" deep-throat, I think it's made by Jet.
See a pic of it at:

http://www.eneva.com/hand-tools/jet-...mp-fixture.asp

So, they cost about $18 ea, and I got mine second-hand but unused for
$1 ea. These are nice, big, sturdy clamps. The $51 savings is to me a
significant thing.

If you still think my clamps are a lost cause, and they simply will
never work correctly--and you have reason for that opinion--then I
would love to hear it.

I'm looking at this from a materials and engineering standpoint. I see
no reason why boring out the hole won't make the clamps work as well
as they should (that hole in the clamp is supposed to be loose anyway,
FWW). Even if I have to spend an hour with a file on each one, it
would be worth it to me. I'm just hoping to find something easier.

I missed your original post but if I get the gist of the problem I'd be
curious to know if you turned the handle such as to maximize the distance
between the two pieces? I've got pipe clamps that would simply not go
together without doing that...

John