Posted to rec.woodworking
Josepi[_12_] Josepi[_12_] is offline

Default DE-Rusting tools a bad way.... courtesy of Nick Engle.

A "chelator" and "source" are opposites.

Chelator is typically when an amino acid bonds to a mineral and the mineral
becomes inaccessible for usage.

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
If you used molasses, they'd smell like rum.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru...t_molasses.htm

Molasses is a strong chelation agent, meaning it has a
strong affinity for certain inorganics, in this case iron. That's
why black strap is one of the best sources of dietary
iron.

On Oct 29, 11:13 am, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
I recently tried using Nick Engle's potato solution for getting rid of
rust. I found it searching the internet and decided not to do the
reverse electrolytic process I had found.

I am not sure this method of using potatoes was a good idea. I think I
could have gotten the same results without the potatoes using just oil
and elbow grease. The biggest downside is the stink of the potato
solution, and now the tools stink. I can't get rid of the stink.

I don't recommend this. I have tried mineral spirits, acetone, alchohol,
etc... nothing will get rid of the smell. 1month after it still stinks.

Go electrolytic, don't follow his advice it is bad.... real bad.