Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Lathe electrically "hot" due to VFD? WTF?

Wild_Bill wrote:
Here in the U.S. we generally refer to similar devices as GFCI ground
fault circuit interrupter.
They are available in several versions for installing into walls to
protect branches of receptacles, and required most places for
receptacles near sinks (bath, kitchen, laundry, circuits near swimming
pools) or receptacles near exit doors where cords might be used for
outdoor equipment, also permanent outdoor locations (also available
built into extension cords and power cords of equipment primarily used
outdoors - electric pressure washers, for example).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

There are also GFCI versions for installing directly into service panels
(mains power feed boxes).

One thing that's worse than excessive use of extension cords, is cheap
morons that never throw them away when the cords become damaged or
develop worn out receptacles.
In addition to that issue, too many folks don't have any understanding
of wattages or current.

I can tell you're a real maverick, Dave.. you used yards, instead of
meters, heh.

Yep, your regulators not accepting your certifications and experience
for not being adequate for fairly simple electrical work, reminds me of
the sig quote that's used by Wes (I think), about a guy's right to have
a weapon to protect important pople in his job.. but not able to keep a
weapon in his home to protect himself and his family.

Double standards have long been becoming the norm, twisted as that is.

Yep, there are essentially no safety devices that are 100% effective..
circuit breakers don't detect fires from hot conductors, etc.

Even isolation transformers can't protect someone from electrocution
from fatal voltage potentials within the piece of isolated equipment.

Folks were generally safer when they were very superstitious and afraid
of electrical power. Of course, they had to suffer lots of injuries from
wandering around in the house in the dark, and possibly oil lamp fires.
But they wouldn't risk getting killed instantly by the mysterious "fire
on a wire".

There were lots of rural folks in this country using gasoline-powered
washing machines (outdoors, I suppose) just a couple of generations ago.

And the expression 'tit in the wringer' came from those old wringer type
washing machines, Ouch

John