Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Lathe electrically "hot" due to VFD? WTF?

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 19:05:11 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:54:21 -0700, Tim
wrote:

On 10/27/2010 08:29 PM, Ignoramus15569 wrote:
I have looked at everything very carefully and found a place where
ground was not connected properly. Thanks to all. This lathe runs
very well now, everything pertaining to variable speed works extremely
well, VFD is working, etc. It cost me more to fix than I hoped (VS
stuff), but the result is very nice. The last thing remaining is to
make stops for the taper attachment.

Glad you found it -- it's really unpleasant when the electrical stuff
starts biting.

Indeed. I believe I mentioned working on a misbehaving Large
machine..and after laying on the concrete floor in a pool of
sweat..reached up and grabbed the side of the machine to pull myself up.

And having the shop owner kick my arm loose as I was doing the Spastic
Trout On The Dock dance......

That's NOT the approved Method of Faulty Ground Tracing as mentioned
in the Sparky manual, sir. But it found your problem for you, dinnit?
(ouch!)

--
Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises.
-- Demosthenes

I guess you learned by experience that before working on any machine it
is prudent to check the grounding of the machine, but preferably not by
your method. I find a number of machines especially in small shops that
are not properly grounded. Some people should not do their own wiring,
especially three phase systems. Grounding is the most important part of
wiring, that is why the NEC devotes a whole chapter to it.

John