Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Welding for beginners ?

On Oct 31, 6:42*pm, "MrFerrous" wrote:
I have a ageing relative who owns a house with a bit of land attached. I
help out with general maintenance tasks when I visit, and although I have
never welded, it looks to me like a welder would be useful addition to my
growing collection of tools. For example:

- The steel gate to the field is suffering from localised but deep rust. It
might be worthwhile to reinforce it in places before repainting it.
- There's a small barn with a steel internal framework. There's localised
severe corrosion. The cost of replacement would probably be much higher than
the cost of repair.

The existing "good" steel is probably at least 3mm thick. The results of my
welding attempts don't have to be pretty, just strong and cost-effective.

Would one of the temptingly cheap arc welders from Screwfix be a good place
to start learning?

If you've not welded before I'd sugest a wire feed welder. These are
so much easier. If you do go with arc, allow a fair bit of time to
practice on scrap first.

NT