Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Lathe electrically "hot" due to VFD? WTF?

Here in the U.S. we generally refer to similar devices as GFCI ground fault
circuit interrupter.
They are available in several versions for installing into walls to protect
branches of receptacles, and required most places for receptacles near sinks
(bath, kitchen, laundry, circuits near swimming pools) or receptacles near
exit doors where cords might be used for outdoor equipment, also permanent
outdoor locations (also available built into extension cords and power cords
of equipment primarily used outdoors - electric pressure washers, for
example).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

There are also GFCI versions for installing directly into service panels
(mains power feed boxes).

One thing that's worse than excessive use of extension cords, is cheap
morons that never throw them away when the cords become damaged or develop
worn out receptacles.
In addition to that issue, too many folks don't have any understanding of
wattages or current.

I can tell you're a real maverick, Dave.. you used yards, instead of meters,
heh.

Yep, your regulators not accepting your certifications and experience for
not being adequate for fairly simple electrical work, reminds me of the sig
quote that's used by Wes (I think), about a guy's right to have a weapon to
protect important pople in his job.. but not able to keep a weapon in his
home to protect himself and his family.

Double standards have long been becoming the norm, twisted as that is.

Yep, there are essentially no safety devices that are 100% effective..
circuit breakers don't detect fires from hot conductors, etc.

Even isolation transformers can't protect someone from electrocution from
fatal voltage potentials within the piece of isolated equipment.

Folks were generally safer when they were very superstitious and afraid of
electrical power. Of course, they had to suffer lots of injuries from
wandering around in the house in the dark, and possibly oil lamp fires.
But they wouldn't risk getting killed instantly by the mysterious "fire on a
wire".

There were lots of rural folks in this country using gasoline-powered
washing machines (outdoors, I suppose) just a couple of generations ago.

--
WB

"Dave H." wrote in message

"Wild_Bill" wrote...
Everyone doing any electrical work should know how little electrical
current it takes to disrupt normal heart rhythm.
This info is included in NEC manuals and numerous other sources.

Agreed, safety is important, I've gone a bit over the top for my
shed/workshop, 100mA time-delayed RCD ( = Residual Current Device, see
below) on the armoured cable from the house, another (30mA instantaneous)
for everything but the lights so I won't be left in the dark with spinning
machines, separate circuit breakers for each machine and the local
outlets, but a lot of people will be using 25 yards or more of trailing
extension cable across the garden and through puddles if they want to use
anything electrical beyond the confines of the house: this is perfectly
legal but bloody dangerous, rather than having a properly-wired fixed
installation which would be very much safer but which they currently
aren't permitted to install - anyone with an ounce of sense will find out
how to do it properly (there are plenty of resources online), anyone
without... well, maybe they should be shooed out of the gene pool before
they drown someone else

As for Iggy's ground fault - could be an existing fault and nothing to do
with him and his electrical work, lucky he found it now and not when a
*major* fault occured! I've seen quite a few horrors installed by
"approved electricians" and some really excellent jobs by DIYers - one
that comes to mind was aluminium cables terminated to brass connectors,
first sign of damp and they start to corrode, resistance goes up and it
overheats, up in smoke goes the junction box, possibly followed by the
house... That was a "professional" installation too

I have an electrical + electronic engineering cert. that took 3 years
post-college and several years practical experience on everything from
20KV transmitter supplies to 100HP servomotor systems but according to the
regulations here I'm not a "competent person" to work on electrics in my
own home, unlike a guy straight out of school (where he failed all his
courses) who's done a one-week course on testing *and has paid a huge
amount for membership* in one of the "approved bodies" who run the
certification scheme and lobbied (mostly in the newspapers) for the change
in the law. Makes you think, eh?

Part of the current regulations here that I approve of is
whole-installation 30mA RCD protection, so the power will disconnect in a
few milliseconds if there's any more than a 30mA current difference
between phase and neutral - but even that won't save those who put
themselves between phase and neutral without earthing themselves! Against
stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain...

Dave H.
--
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader