Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default make your own I/O cables

On Oct 29, 11:21*pm, "Califbill" wrote:
"Karl Townsend" *wrote in message

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:32:27 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On 10/21/2010 05:08 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

As another said this will probably be a standard ribbon cable for you..
half the conductors are simply drain/grounds/shields in between the
signal wires. IOW the usual ribbon cable for interconnecting floppys
and hard drives in you computer.

So how long do you need the cables?

Bob *AZ

You just gave me a great idea. I'll get four short ribbon cables and
make a holding bracket on the side of the computer. The I/O card plugs
the cables directly and they are a PITA to disconnect. This will get
it outside the case.

!!!! But, now I'll have to look for a male connector, surely no big
deal. *!!!!

Don't count on that, but good luck!

Yea, I've been surfing digikey for over 1/2 hour and can't find one.
maybe i don't know what to call it.

Karl

REPLY:
3M made a lot of the connectors.- Hide quoted text -

Most of the males available will be for PC board mounting. Look at a
SCSI drive sometime. What you want, if you can't get an IDC, is a
"gender changer". I've had a couple from scrounging surplus, so they
are/were available. Likely priced way above the IDC connector price
unless you scrounge as well as I did. You need a PC-centric dealer,
Digi-Key doesn't have everything, as thick as their paper catalog is.
Unfortunately, my favorite surplus haunts are long gone. Weird Stuff
Warehouse is still around, if not in the original locale. Or you
could design your own gender changer with two males mounted to a short
piece of suitably etched PC board. Have seen that done with other
sizes of ribbons.

Stan