Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_3_] The Medway Handyman[_3_] is offline

Default Isolating valve for flexible tap tails

andrew wrote:
On Oct 30, 6:10 pm, "John" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

On 30 Oct, 16:37, " wrote:
On 30 Oct, 16:32, Jim K wrote:

On 30 Oct, 16:24, "The Medway Handyman" davidno-spam-

wrote:
John wrote:
I have bought a tap with 2 flexible tails (rubber washer for the
seating in the connection).

I want to fit isolation valves - the ones I have seen have
compression
fittings at each end. I presume I want something a bit
different to attach the flexible. Any pointers?

Do the flexibles screw into the tap at one end and have a female
with a
rubber washer at the other.

Like the connector on the left end
herehttp://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Flexible+Connectors/Flexible...

If so the female will fit straight onto the isolating valve &
seal.

If your flexibles end in compression fittings then a short piece
of copper
tube will sort it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

mmm
I asked a similar one not so long ago on here - Tim W had this

"I don't think that would be a good idea. The rubber washer in teh
flexi
expects a flat shoulder on the mating fitting. The shoulder on a
compression
joint tends to be sharper and not designed for washers.

I had the same dilemma when swapped a ballcock from a stupid
plastic threaded bit of crap to a proper one with a solid brass
thread.
The plastic one was designed for a tap connector (not much else
they could
do) and the brass one for a compression joint to pipe and it had a
very
sharp shoulder. Don't think a rubber washer would have lasted very
long..."

Jim K

In which case use washing machine taps:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/51231/...chine-Accs/Flo...

erm... the 3/4" bit might cause a slight (1/4") prob? ;)

Jim K

My concern (perhaps I had subliminally seen it earlier):

"I don't think that would be a good idea. The rubber washer in the
flexi expects a flat shoulder on the mating fitting. The shoulder on
a compression joint tends to be sharper and not designed for
washers.)

Flexi onto isolating valve has always worked fine for me. If necessary
look at a couple of brands of compression isolating valves. The ones
I've used do have a smaller surface to contact with the rubber washer,
but they are certainly not sharp, and unless you really went for it
with a wrench, wouldn't cut through the rubber.

Exactly my experience. Never had a problem.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk