Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Improving old windows?

"Davej" wrote in message
Everybody wants to sell you new energy-efficient windows. What is the
best that can be done to refurbish/upgrade old wooden windows? I have
outer storm panes so I have an insulating air gap. Seems like old
windows might need a few more gaskets to seal them tighter, but I'm
hoping for something a bit better than the cheesy adhesive foam
strips. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Storm windows do help with the drafts but don't be fooled the air space
between the storm and the window is not "dead air space".

How old is the window? Rope and weights can be replaced with more modern
channels but the cost will be darn close to the cost of a new insulated
thermopane window. Probably more if you hire both jobs done.

Using a removable rope caulk type product to fill the air gaps for the
winter or even longer is about the best looking temporary thing you can do.
Much better looking than those stapled up plastic sheets. Does no damage
when removed like those cheesy adhesive foam strips do. Cleaning that crap
up is an ordeal.

Caulking the upper sash into place so that a double hung window becomes a
single hung will reduce the air flow 50%. I often do this since the upper
sashes rarely work on a 40 year old window.

An interior acrylic storm held in place with magnetic strips seems to work
fairly well in some of the older historical home where modern storm windows
are not allowed. I suspect they would be a PITA to place and take down each
season but how many of us really open windows anymore?

--
Colbyt