P van Rijckevorsel

Default ### Micro-FAQ on wood # 002

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
A more closely run thing would be walnut wood and walnuts. The American

walnut tree (Juglans nigra) is not the tree yielding the walnuts bought in
the store, which should be from the real walnut tree (Juglans regia). Both
species have been in the same genus forever and the seeds from Juglans nigra
are edible (also IIRC they are the walnut in walnut ice cream).

Doug Miller schreef
It all depends... you can buy black walnuts (the fruit of Juglans nigra)

in some grocery stores in the US, as well as what we call "English" walnuts
(the fruit of Juglans regia). Whether black walnuts are edible or not is a
matter of personal opinion, though. I can't stand them.

+ + +
I have no personal experience with black walnuts, but I understood that the
reason they were not widely sold was size not taste. IIRC they do taste
different.

Technically speaking the fruit is the whole thing including the "husk". What
is eaten is only the seed, like with almonds.
PvR