Dave Liquorice

Default Earthing

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 02:24:30 -0000, Sparks wrote:

The question I have, is, the transfer switch manual says there
should be an earth rod next to the generator

Correct and I expect that the generators earth point bonds, to use the
words of Bigwallop, the "black phase" to that earth rod.

I already have an earth supplied by the electric company
will having two earthing points cause a problem?

This is where it becomes complicated. That supply earth may be at a
voltage other than the local earth provided by the earth rod.
Connecting the two together could cause earth currents to flow and in
some circumstances and not necessarily fault conditions these could be
substantial.

I suggest you get in touch with a properly qualified electrical
engineer with experience of generator installation. It may also be
worth doing a google in this group or uk.tech.electronic-security for
a fairly recent discussion on this. Bigwallop appears to be changing
his tune a little...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail