Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting Board material

In article ,
says...

On 10/29/10 8:30 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 29, 9:03 am, "
I am around Ipe a lot. I would never use it for a cutting board. The
stuff stinks, it stains, it dulls tools.

I know absolutely nothing about Ipe,

Tangent...
I was in woodcraft and a few guys were talking about Ipe. They got into
a discussion about how to pronounce it. One guys said, "I pronounce it
eye-pay," the other guy said, "I pronounce it eepay," the third said, "I
hear it's just pronounced like pipe." I was walking by and said, "I
pronounce it, Brazilian Walnut."

Be careful with that because there is a very nice variety of walnut also
grown in Brazil (I remember seeing a great rack of boards 18 inches wide
and all heart backalong, right next to the cabinet-grade Ipe).