Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default Lathe electrically "hot" due to VFD? WTF?

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

In most places in the US, local laws set the
specific requirements and usually compliance
with the National Electrical Code is one of them.

My first home was in a city that forbid anyone but
a non-licensed electrician from doing andy electrical

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good catch. Of course I meant licensed electrician

work. Where I live now, a homeowner can do any
electrical work providing he can submit a building
permit request, get it approved, and pass an
inspection by the city building inspector.

I installed a 50 ampere subpanel along with lights
and 220 outlets for lathe, mill and welder and had
no problem with either the permit or the inspection.

About 25 years ago I designed several test fixtures
for the computer company I worked for and sent two
of them to our plant in Woking/Bracknell. I visited
the plant a few months later and was surprised at the
extensive plexi/perspex covers they installed over it.