Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Suggestions for a decent shop bench grinder

On 2010-10-28, Nate wrote:

Nothing. 240V is useful if you need lots of power; that is, more than
you can get out of a typical 15A or 20A 120V circuit.

Like during start up. I had a 9.5CFM air compressor wired for 240.
It also included instruction for rewiring the swith/motor for 120,
which on one occasion had to do. Ran fine, but could barely get past
a cold oil start-up. Always made it, eventually, but was iffy a
couple times. Hadda turn on/off/on/off couple times to get it past
start-up. Many 15A motors are like that. Run ok, but draw twice the
max amperage to get started. That the reason for slow blow fuses.

nb

What these "fuses" you speak of?

seriously, they seem to have fallen out of favor at least everywhere
I've lived around the early 70's. I know my parents' first house was
built around 1972ish and it had a fuse box and I remember my dad
complaining about it; he thought that it was "cheap" on the part of the
builders that they didn't put in a breaker box.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel