Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sorta On Topic - Vice Needs...

On 2010-10-28, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
No, not that kind of vice. I don't really drink, smoke or... well... Never
mind. Let's just get to the point here.

This is the wood vice I have now. It works great except that sometimes I
need to hold a part in it that requires the "jaws" to be taller.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Vise-6-/G8966

What happens is that the part hits the guide rods and screw mechanism at the
bottom of the jaws and I can't properly hold the part.

Does anyone know where I can get a wood vice with "taller" jaws?

Have you looked at the Zyliss vise? I have one which I got some
thirty years ago or so. (They have some extra features now, including
the quick-release jaw.)

It probably won't have as tight a grip as the grizzly above,
because a lot of it appears to be precision cast aluminum, but it is
pretty good for a lot of things.

Check out:

http://www.myhomeworkshop.com/zvise.html

I don't use it often, but when I need it, nothing else that I have
will do. (Among other things, it can mount on two ends of the workbench
edge -- or a deck rail in need -- and grip something just a bit shorter
than that workbench or rail.

Otherwise, I may just make my own...

Thank you for any help you can offer.

If it matters, I already have a large metalworker's vice/anvil thing set-up.
This one is used for smaller, more delicate work - mostly assembling brass
fittings and pneumatic controls for the machines I sell.

Hmm ... if you are using it to force metal fittings together it
might not be strong enough. It is really made for woodwork.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564