Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Suggestions for a decent shop bench grinder

On 10/28/2010 10:03 AM, Mel Knight wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:25:03 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Forget three-phase (and it's generally referred to as 240 volts nominal,
twice 120). Regular old 120 is fine.

Thanks. I'm going to go with 120volts.

One thing confuses me about the "functional" difference of a motor under
120 versus 220 volts.

When I look at the specs for dual-voltage single-phase motors, the
horsepower is the same for both voltages. So is the RPM. The "only" thing
in the specs that's different is the current halves.

What's the "effective" difference in function of a dual-voltage grinder
if it's set up at 115 versus 220? Anything meaningful?

Nothing. 240V is useful if you need lots of power; that is, more than
you can get out of a typical 15A or 20A 120V circuit.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel