Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Framing a wall around electrical panel

On Oct 28, 2:59*pm, Borrall Wonnell wrote:
On Oct 28, 3:52*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

Surely there are lots of people out there who have encountered this
problem. *Any ideas would be appreciated!

*Usually what I see is the wall built out a little and a full size door
installed for very easy access. *The other common solution is a full size
storeroom or utility room made around the panel. *I have gone into older
basements that have the electrical panel framed like a window with some
shutters or plywood door to cover the opening. *Those are a PITA to work on
and to try to get new circuits into.

The electrical code requires at least 36" of clearance in front of the
panel.

No pictures required...this is a very typical panel installation. *The
original plan was to build a utility room. *However, SWMBO decided
otherwise. *Building a closet/door is also out...the local inspector
frowned on the idea. *Thanks for the suggestions though!

What does frown on the idea mean? Panelboards are located in closets
a lot of times. Ask him to point out exactly what part of the code
prohibits it. If he can't/won't point out the code prohibition (which
he won't, since there are none - there are limitations on access, but
no prohibitions to panelboards in a closet/enclosure), ask what
problems he has with it, and then address those.