Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Drawer issue

On Oct 28, 7:39*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 28, 3:38*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 28, 1:30*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 27, 9:39*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 27, 9:04*am, Robatoy wrote:

If the drawer slides are to be side-mounted onto the gables, you can
buy stand-offs to do that job, creating enough offset to clear most
doors. A cleat/block of wood will also work.

Gables? *This word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

The 'side panels' of a cabinet are referred to as 'gables' around
these parts.... by the pros...G

The pros in this part, of which I am one, don't. *Using gables to
refer to a cabinet side obviously came from a noob who thought that a
gable wall just referred to a side wall, which is where gables are
typically located on a house. *Look up the word - you'll see what I
mean. *It has to do with the triangular shape. *So, unless your
cabinet sides are peaked, you are using an incorrect term - be ye pro
or not.

Wreck Chief Semantics Officer

Is it fair to assume that Danny Proulx knows a thing or two about
cabinets?

and I quote:

CABINET BOX CONSTRUCTION
by Danny Proulx

What's the best way to build the carcass (cabinet box) for kitchen
cabinets?
And, which material is ideally suited for kitchen cabinet
construction?
Those are two questions that make-up a good portion of my email each
month. Do I have the definitive answer? Unfortunately, there isn't one
product that's flawless. Many cabinetmakers, including myself, have
opted for 5/8" melamine coated particle board (MPCB) as the material
of choice. That's not to say there aren't a few drawbacks with this
material, however, in almost all situations MPCB is very acceptable.

Base cabinet boxes are built with two sides (gable ends), a bottom,
and a back. The upper cabinets have two gable ends, a bottom, top, and
back board. Base cabinets don't need the top board as the countertop
covers that opening. Normally, with carcass construction using the
Euro cabinet leg, bottom and top boards are attached to the gable
ends. In effect, the width of the bottom and top boards determine the
carcass interior width because the gable ends are attached to these
boards using simple butt joints. The back board then covers all the
edges of the bottom, top, and gable end components.

Bzzzt! and Bzzzt! and Bzzzt! 0 for 3

1) Never trust a person whose name ends in an X.
2) I've already explained where the confusion came in on gable and why
Canada should just roll over on this one and take it like a man.
3) It's not carcass, it's carcase - as in casegoods, casework. A
carcass is a dead body. The original word for cabinet work was
carcase, but it was misunderstood by some quasi-literate in the past,
who simply misunderstood the word and wrote down the phonetic spelling
of what he thought he heard. On his behalf, I can only assume he
never saw the word in writing and the person speaking was drunk or had
a cleft palate. Maybe he was a bit light in the loafers and had a
lisp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casework
http://www.wicnet.org/publications/casework.asp

I'm willing to slide on the last one, as the US and Brits have split
on carcass/carcase, but the first two - no way. Especially the first
- no final Xs unless it's a royalty lineage designation.

R the X
10th Earl of Mumbleland

PS There's one more Bzzzt! for old Danny Proulx - tell him to
proofread his articles. Acronyms are much easier to understand if you
don't switch the letters around: "melamine coated particle board
(MPCB)"