Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Drawer issue

On Oct 28, 7:34*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 28, 7:18*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 28, 5:45*pm, "Josepi" wrote:

Clarke said "Frankly, my dear! I don't give a damn!"

Gable usage in house design ***usually** means a triangular piece at the
ends of a sloped roof.

Show me one instance where gable refers to anything else on a house,
Sparky.

Many refer to the "gable" in cabinets, also. *Only incorrect until the
masses use it in that context. Then it become correct, unfortunately.

It is not now, nor will it ever be correct. * Side is the only word
that is necessary for the _side_ of a cabinet. *The word gable
provides additional information that the word side does not, and that
information is not applicable, nor correct, for a cabinet side.

IFF the cabinet has a gable side, then, by all means, call it a gable.

Plug the following into Google, Sir.....

what is a cabinet gable

and see what pops up.....

Exactly what I expected. A bunch of Canuckistanians that are
*******izing the Queen's English, no doubt to get back at the old
filly. While we're proffering Google searches, DAGS 'gable cabinet
england' and explain the lack of cabinetry. You're outgunned, two
fading empires to one.

I know you're not a noob, and you choose your words carefully - except
when you disagree with me and then you're just simply full of poop -
but using gable to denote a _side_ is wrong. Why have another word?
Why have the wrong word? Does it change the meaning in any way, shape
or form to say gable instead of side? Does side leave out something
that gable includes for a cabinet? Nope. Some hoser, back in the
deep dark past of Canada, jacked some terminology, and you guys being
such pacifists, never called him on it.

Let's flip this around. You tell me - what exactly would you lose if
you called the side of a cabinet a side? Do the BC dinner jacket
wearing job site jockeys call a gable wall a side? Is there some
simmering feud between carpenters and joiners that has you guys
fighting over the same words? Not enough to go around?

People have enough difficulty communicating clearly when they use all
the same words to refer to all the same things. Obfuscating words do
not help.

Wreck Rant Enforcement Officer