Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Sorta On Topic - Vice Needs...

On Oct 28, 2:44*pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
How much taller do you need. That link shows a wood vise and has screw
holes in the jaw plates typical of *wood vises I've seen and used to fix
jaw plates. Most I've seen used by wood workers have wooden jaws fitted to
the metal jaw plates so can you make a set and extend them higher.

That's option #2... *Put some "extenders" on there... *But I'd rather simply
have a short and a tall wood vize.

(That special spelling was for Tim Wescott's pleasure.)
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Don't know if there are any "taller" vises out there for woodworking.
Usually you buy the vise or hardware kit and fabricate wood jaws to
suit. Most guys don't take to iron jaws clamping their finished
wooded parts. If the part is too big for the vise, that's what bench
dogs and tail vises are for. That assumes you've got a full
woodworker's type bench to work on this stuff. Otherwise, you can
make-do like I do, get out the Workmate and round up the dogs and hold-
downs for it. I've got the vise parts and screws, just haven't got
anyplace big enough for a full bench.

Stan