Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Suggestions for a decent shop bench grinder

On 2010-10-28, notbob wrote:

Baldor

Better yet, buy a Baldor 3" vert belt sander. You'll use it more and
on more different applications. We called ours the Mexican milling
machine. If you still need a grinder for some obscure reason, jes get
a cheapy from HF. It can gather cobwebs while you work the crap outta
the belt sander.

If the OP doesn't already have a good platform sander- belt or disc-
I'd probably go with NB on this one. Buy a good used sander-- and
the best belts you can find.

'mexican milling machine, indeed- a good coarse belt can cut 2x mild
steel angle iron in no time.

And I'm with Steve on not skimping on good tools- especially while
you're in your 20s. Lots of good used tools out there if you shop
around a bit. Get a beast that 40 years from now your grand kids
will be drooling over.

Not because you'll wear it out- but because you can do things to and
with it that you can't do with a cheap grinder or sander.

Jim