Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestions for a decent shop bench grinder

They use the same watts (you pay for watts). With the 220 VAC, you can
run smaller wire to power the unit. Half the amps.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mel Knight" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:25:03 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Forget three-phase (and it's generally referred to as 240 volts
nominal,
twice 120). Regular old 120 is fine.

Thanks. I'm going to go with 120volts.

One thing confuses me about the "functional" difference of a motor
under
120 versus 220 volts.

When I look at the specs for dual-voltage single-phase motors, the
horsepower is the same for both voltages. So is the RPM. The "only"
thing
in the specs that's different is the current halves.

What's the "effective" difference in function of a dual-voltage
grinder
if it's set up at 115 versus 220? Anything meaningful?