Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Suggestions for a decent shop bench grinder

"Mel Knight" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:25:03 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Forget three-phase (and it's generally referred to as 240 volts nominal,
twice 120). Regular old 120 is fine.

Thanks. I'm going to go with 120volts.

One thing confuses me about the "functional" difference of a motor under
120 versus 220 volts.

When I look at the specs for dual-voltage single-phase motors, the
horsepower is the same for both voltages. So is the RPM. The "only" thing
in the specs that's different is the current halves.

What's the "effective" difference in function of a dual-voltage grinder
if it's set up at 115 versus 220? Anything meaningful?

220 V has slightly greater efficiency, less start up draw, and 220
inherently "balances" the load across the hot service wires entering the
house, spares the neutral load. A motor wired for 220 might last a little
longer, ito motor windings.
The greater efficiency at 220V also means the motor should run a little
cooler, esp. in multiple start/stop situations.

Becomes more important as motor size increases, but for what you are talking
about, is pretty much moot.

Also, I suspect any grinder wired for 220 will be much higher bucks, as you
start entering the "industrial" class.
--
EA