Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Sorta On Topic - Vice Needs...

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
No, not that kind of vice. I don't really drink, smoke or... well... Never
mind. Let's just get to the point here.

This is the wood vice I have now. It works great except that sometimes I
need to hold a part in it that requires the "jaws" to be taller.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Vise-6-/G8966

What happens is that the part hits the guide rods and screw mechanism at the
bottom of the jaws and I can't properly hold the part.

Does anyone know where I can get a wood vice with "taller" jaws?

Otherwise, I may just make my own...

Thank you for any help you can offer.

If it matters, I already have a large metalworker's vice/anvil thing set-up.
This one is used for smaller, more delicate work - mostly assembling brass
fittings and pneumatic controls for the machines I sell.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

How much taller do you need. That link shows a wood vise and has screw
holes in the jaw plates typical of wood vises I've seen and used to fix
jaw plates. Most I've seen used by wood workers have wooden jaws fitted
to the metal jaw plates so can you make a set and extend them higher.