Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Smart meters: what's the catch?

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
Currently I read the electricity and gas meters at the end of each
month, fill in an online form, and pay for the actual usage near the
middle of the following month. I'm very happy with this arrangement.

My supplier (First Utility) has offered me free "smart meters".

http://www.first-utility.com/home-en...t-smart-meters

A smart meter takes automatic readings of your energy usage
It sends the readings via a mobile communications link to First Utility
We make your energy usage data available to view online
You receive an accurate, monthly energy bill

Experience tells me that if something is free there must be a downside,
but I can't see it. Is there one? Is this a consumer-subsidised scheme
like those "free" CFLs?

In theory its a cost saving, they don't have to send meter readers out as
often.

Its also an "energy saving measure" and the government wants everyone to
have a smart meter so they can see how much energy you are wasting.