Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default Smart meters: what's the catch?

fred :
In article , Mike Barnes
writes
Currently I read the electricity and gas meters at the end of each
month, fill in an online form, and pay for the actual usage near the
middle of the following month. I'm very happy with this arrangement.

My supplier (First Utility) has offered me free "smart meters".

http://www.first-utility.com/home-en...t-smart-meters

A smart meter takes automatic readings of your energy usage
It sends the readings via a mobile communications link to First Utility
We make your energy usage data available to view online
You receive an accurate, monthly energy bill

Experience tells me that if something is free there must be a downside,
but I can't see it. Is there one? Is this a consumer-subsidised scheme
like those "free" CFLs?

There are quite a few scare stories out there about First Utility (FU
by name, FU by customer service).

Some relate to mis-billing (over-billing) even when a smart meter is
fitted, smart meter readings not filed, over estimates with refusal to
accept customer readings as corrections.

Googling for: "First Utility" +"smart meter" +problems gets quite a
few, eg:
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/comm.../firstutility-
158735.aspx

In my personal experience they are fine when all is going well but
quickly live up to their initials when things go wrong. Smart meter may
be a fine idea but don't expect an easy ride if things start going
wrong.

Watch out for their low(ish) unit prices but high standing charges.

Thanks - all useful advice. We're quite high users so the standing
charge isn't much of an issue. I've actually been well pleased with the
service and prices I've received from FU. I'm thinking that I should
leave well alone and certainly look at any terms and conditions such as
tariff changes before committing to anything.

--
Mike Barnes