Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

Default Satellite dish positioning

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:25:47 +0000 (UTC), Richard Tobin wrote:

At this time of year the sun is roughly in the same position as

the
constellation of satellites for Freesat/Sky etc about 0920 GMT

(1020
BST)

This will vary across the country (and of course with the date), so
don't rely on it if it's marginal.

Pay attention to the qualifiers "at this time of year" and "about" in
relation to the time and "clearly" in relation to the illumination.

The bearing will be correct no matter the time of year but I agree
the elevation will change quite a bit between the equinoxes ("at this
time of year") when the sun is more or less in the same place and mid
winter/summer when it will be below (winter) or above (summer) the
position.

I got the time wrong. For here with a longitude of 2.5W it's more
like 1035 BST (I looked at the shadow on our dish...). If I've worked
it out right 1020 would be for a location with a longitude about
1.5E.

--
Cheers
Dave.