Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestions for a decent shop bench grinder

On 10/27/2010 9:21 PM Mel Knight spake thus:

I'll just answer these two:

And the horsepower seems to vary from 1/2, 1/3, 1 1/2, 2, 3, 5, and 7 1/2
HP (although most of the 110 volt ones seem to be in the 1/2 to 3/4 HP
range). Is 1/2HP reasonable for a shop grinder?

Yes. Unless you set up a welding shop and need to grind really big
pieces of metal, 1/2 horse is *plenty*. 1/4 would work fine.

Lastly, I will most likely opt for single-phase 110 volts (because I
don't know if I'll always have dual-phase 220 available) but is there any
really good reason for 220 volts (which I do currently have available)
for "normal" shop grinder use?

Forget three-phase (and it's generally referred to as 240 volts nominal,
twice 120). Regular old 120 is fine.